Thursday, January 10, 2008

our story! our LoooOOOooong story :)

thanks heather for posting yours...i have had blog block!

i aways LOVE hearing (or reading, as some cases may be)the stories of how people's relationships began. even complete strangers' stories...they are just so fun.

SOOOO why not post our story?? i do LOVE telling it!

okay my story starts out with a couple of other guys...just to clear up some confusion....

the date: DECEMBER 31, 1999. some friends and i were just getting our car which was in the parking lot of the church building where there was a new years eve dance. i was ready to party it up...it WAS the last night before the big 2000 after all! i had noticed this good looking guy who still had that "returned missionary" look and i made a mental note to keep an eye out for him. ;) as i entered the cultural hall (the gym for those who don't know) i heard my name and there was a girl that was in some of my high school classes. she was a friend, but not a close one. i really wasn't in the mood for catching up...i was on the prowl. LOL! but i didn't know how to politely excuse myself so i was stuck. here i was with my back to the room having conversation that i HOPED would die soon so i can move on. out of the corner of my eye i saw someone approach. i turn around and who was is?? the VERY same guy i was to keep a look out for...and he was approaching ME!! we started talking, but it was hard to hear each other so we went out into the hall. we continued talking and enjoying ourselves and then he got a phone call. he was told about another dance somewhere else and was dance hopping. he asked if i wanted to go too. i wasn't sure if he was asking me to come with him or just come along. ahh the stress. but since i had come with my friends i figured i better leave with them ESPECIALLY since i just met the guy...he coulda turned out to be a real creep. well he got my number before he left and i went back and found my friends and told them all about it.

the next morning, he called and asked me on a date! wahoo! we hit it off and continued talking and going on dates...i really started to like him. one night, my dad told me he predicted that i would be married by the time the year was out (this was like in late january or february). i was elated because he has always been right about things like this. but alas, that comment from my dad was the kiss of death! every date after that the guy (ammon was his name) became less and less appealing to me. then one night ammon asked me what i was looking for in a husband. talk about pressure! i really did not feel appropriate to bear my soul, so to keep things light, i joked "i don't know, a guy who is alive and breathing". his reply: "oh because i don't know what i'm looking for in a wife yet either". yikes! i really dodged a bullet there! that coulda been REALLY awkward! shortly after that we began talking less and seeing each other less until not at all. but he really DID get me thinking...i knew basics of what i wanted in a husband but i never thought about it seriously. a few weeks after he had asked me that question i actually wrote down what i was looking for in a husband. nothing superficial like i want him to have blue eyes and be 6'3"...blah blah blah, but things like, is patient, loves and is good with kids, has an appreciation for music, is intelligent but does not make me feel inferior.

time went by and a guy i worked with had a son who just got off his mission and started working at the charter school we were working at. he was very good looking and i was interested. he would come and talk to me and my friends but he had already known my friends and i never officially introduced myself. just when i vowed to ask him if he wanted to hang out with us and see how it went from there, i found out he had just started another job. NOOOO! i got his email address from his dad because to call him and have him not know who i was would be beyond humiliating. so i wrote him a cute, funny and witty email introducing myself and showing interest. the next day his dad told me he got my email and he giggled and laughed. i figured that was a good sign. but then a couple of days had gone by and i heard NOTHING back. i felt stupid! so on april 4, 2000 after checking my email like THREE times at work i was in need of SOMETHING to lift my spirits after feeling so rejected and i jumped online onto ldschat to flirt. i saw a guy with the screen name of "azboy" and thought well at least he's from arizona and we'd have that to talk about. i messaged him and really the conversation fell flat. i was talking to other guys too by this time. finally in one last attempt to liven up the conversation i asked him where he was from. he told me "page". wow! my older brother's wife was from page too! crazy...it's a small town! what are the chances? come to find out...yes he knew her! well things definitely picked up and we talked for a while until i had to go...i was at work (bad, YES i KNOW!) and he asked if he could call me. um...give my number out to some strange guy off the internet?? i thought, oh well, why not....he lived 2 hours away and it would be a long distance call. it's not like he's gonna call anyway. i got home and i KNEW he wouldn't call. then 2 min after i had fully resigned myself to that the phone rang and it was HIM! AAAAAH! we talked easily...his voiced seemed familiar and it felt like i had known him for a long time. we talked until i had to get ready to go to my institute class. he asked me if he came down if i would meet him...by this point i had no problem with that. he ended up coming down THAT NIGHT...and despite my bad directions, was sitting talking with my family by the time i got back from my class. we went and walked around, talked and flirted. i liked him...and yes we kissed. i know, i know...fast mover, absolutely! LOL we were out till like 3 in the morning...i didn't want him to go. i worried i may never see him again, with him being so far away...and i really felt a connection with him that i had only felt once before. it scared me! the next morning i checked my email and i had an email from the guy that i had written previously! i felt torn...come to find out, the reason why it took me so long to hear back from him was because he was having problems with his email account. now there are 2 guys. but as torn as i felt i couldn't stop thinking about the guy that i had met, whose name was troy. troy called me that night and we talked for over an hour. the next day again, troy was all i could think of. i couldn't believe i was this head over hills for him already. that night we talked till late in the night again. i was doing my laundry when we were getting ready to hang up. i had just started the washer filling up another load when troy said something that i couldn't understand. i asked him to repeat it but he didn't want to. finally i got him to and he said "i love you". HOLY COW! i had just that afternoon realized that i loved him too! (i forgot to mention, when he called me the night after he came down, he told he doesn't say i like you or i love you unless he knows he means it...this after i had originally told him i liked him..duh i KISSED him!)anyway, i told him i loved him too....this is 2 days after we MET! wow!

i was still in contact with the guy i was previously interested in and the following weekend i went on a date with him. as we were walking to his car when he came to pick me up something hit me: this was a wasted date. i had already met the man i wanted to spend the rest of my life with. i felt bad through out the rest of the night because it was clear that this guy really liked me. poor guy! but the weekend after that troy came down again for our first "official" date. we went to the easter pageant. LOL his family met us there....our first date was with his family...it was fun and a little weird on my part since i knew i wanted to marry him...but he didn't know it yet. a few weeks later he felt it too and we began talking about it...and were basically unofficially engaged until june 18, 2000 he officially proposed to me and on september 20,2000 we were married and sealed in the mesa, az temple!

*okay i forgot to mention: that first night he came down...as we were talking i kept remembering that list of husband-ly qualities i was looking for and subconsciously checking them off...i kept trying to stop myself...i JUST met the poor guy. but from the first night i knew he was everything i was looking for*
that's my story! :) now that i have bored you to death....go and post yours!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does Mom and Dad know the whole story yet? It's crazier than any of us ever thought! Anyway, I'm glad that Troy is part of the family, and that you guys care so much for each other.

Amanda said...

SO not boring! I loved reading that story. It's so cute! I, too, had that LONG list of qualities. I wrote mine during college, added to it on my mission, and finally found someone with everything I was looking for 6 months after I returned home. That list waited a LONG time. We were also fast movers--talked about marriage about 3 weeks after we started dating and got engaged 6 weeks later. If you want to read the whole story, you can check it out on our family website:
http://segebergs.org/ryan/howwemet.php
Thanks for posting something so fun and nostalgic.

Amy said...

I never did have a list cuz I was sure I was going to marry Jeff Mclean. Ahhh, to be clueless.

Stina said...

well, amy....last i heard, jeff was still looking! soooooo if things with steve don't work out...

hahahahaha!! just kidding steve! don't come after me with your christmas present!!

Casey said...

WOW, I didnt know that story!! I thought it was fast when you started dating him and the next thing we knew, we were at your wedding!! Crazy, but when its right you know it! :) Why waste time?.. It was so great to see you at Tammy's wedding!! We need to get together more then just once every few years!! **hugs**

Stina said...

it was so great to see you, casey, and heather and tammy at tammy's wedding. i really miss you gals!

hahahaha!! i just re-read my post. it sounds like i was a boy crazy monster who was husband shopping! boy crazy...why yes. but the reason why i was so happy at my dad's comment about marriage was because i really liked ammon and i could tell he was marriage minded and he was the first really good guy i had dated in a while. AND if things didn;t work out with him...no biggie...there was still jeremy who was to be getting back from his mission later that year...he was who i REALLY wanted to marry the most! he, in fact inspired the majority of the list of qualities i was looking for. but unfortunatly for him, troy came and swept me off my feet before jeremy could do anything about it. THANK GOODNESS! troy is so perfect for me and if i had met him any later it woulda been a mess...i was so crazy about jeremy but it woulda never worked out...way too much drama there...thank goodness i was spared that mess!

Tiffany Lamb said...

You do realize that you married the biggest nerd ever? But he is my little brother (was... I should say)so continue to be good to him. Thanks to you his children are cutier than we ever thought possible. Love Ya

Crissybug said...

It is so fun to read about how people met. I did some online dating too. It never did work out for me, but it was fun. Troy seems like a great guy.